The GAA World Games will be
played over 2 days, Friday 6th March and Saturday 7th
Friday 6th March GAA World Games Day 1 -
Zayed Sports City
- 28 Teams will play at the GAA World Games
- 20 Teams (10 men & 10 women) will play in the
GAA World Cup - Teams from Asia, Australasia, Canada, Europe, New York,
North America & the Middle East, This will be predominantly
Irish players who are based in these Countries around the world.
- 8 Teams (4 men & 4 women) will play in the
International World Cup - Teams from Argentina, Galicia, Middle East
& South Africa. These will be natives from the countries mentioned who
have taken up our National games and excelled at them.
- There will be a parade of all the Teams prior to the
1st games with the Abu Dhabi police marching band. We will have kids
from Abu Dhabi wearing the jerseys of each of the International Units and
flags from each Country in the parade.
- HH Sheikh Nayan former Sports Minister and
member of the Royal Family will throw in the ball for the 1st game.
- The Group Games will be played on Day 1 to
determine who reaches the knockout stages on Day 2.
- The Playing rules have been received by all Teams with
the main differences being - it will be squads of 12 with 9 on the pitch
and 3 rolling subs.
- The sin bin will replace the black card due to the
restriction on squad sizes but the offences remain the same.
- The games are 9 minutes a side with a two minute break
at halftime. Knockout games are 12 minutes a side and the finals are
15 minutes a side with a 3 minute break at half time.
- The rest of the rules are per the Official Guide of
- Also on the the 6th February there will be a local
Middle East competition that will include Gaelic football, hurling and
Camoige. There will also be a one wall handball exhibition over
- Friday is also targeted as a family fun day out and
there will be lots of activities for the Kids including photographs
with the Sam Maguire and Liam McCarthy Cups .
- Friday night will see the presentations of the Middle
East competition at McGettigans Irish Bar with a Band from Ireland,
Dejaboo providing the entertainment.
- Saturday 7th March GAA World Games Day 2 - Zayed
- Middle East Juvenile games in the morning.
- Skill sessions for the kids with GAA County players
- Knockout stages of the World Games
- Kids Gaelic match before GAA World Games finals
- GAA World Games finals.
- Presentation of the 1st ever GAA
World Cups for Mens & Ladies.
- Closing ceremony at the Parc Rotana Hotel
- Closing speeches will include Minister Jimmy
Deenihan, Etihad and Aogan O Fearghail Uachtaran, Cumann Lúthcleas Gael
- Selection of the 1st GAA World All Star Teams & MVP's
- Music will be provided by Dejaboo and Irish Dancing
troupe Celtic Rhythms will also entertain the crowd.
- Sunday 8th March -
McGettigans Abu Dhabi
- Farewell brunch for all the Teams with local band, Inis Oir, providing the entertainment.
- GAA World Games 2015 comes to a